Slumdog Millionaire

|
Well, there's seems to be a fuss about the new movie "Slumdog Millionaire". I don't quite get the fuss. I read the synopsis online, it's just another rag to riches story. What so great about it? It's not even a box-office movie. But, when even my mum is talking about it, I know I just have to see it. Mum don't watch movies. Especially latest one. And Slumdog Millionaire doesn't even available in Malaysian cinemas. That's just it. So, I bought the pirated DVD. (Don't judge me, I know you do it too!)

It's a good movie. It is a story of Jamal Malik, an 18-years old orphan from the slum of Mumbai, who participated in India's version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" But, when the show break for the night just before the final question, the host (played by Anil Kapoor) suspected him of cheating and handed him to the police for interrogation. He was tortured by the police because he didn't tell them how a streetkid, who only work as the tea-maker, like him can answers the questions correctly. Desperate to prove his innocence, Jamal tells his story of his life in the slum where he and his brother grew up, of their adventures togethers and about Latika, the love of his life. Each chapter of his story reveals the key to the answers to one of the game show's questions.

It's almost like Forrest Gump. Well, the flashback part, and how the stories connect to one another. I found out that the movie is an adaptation of the Boeke Prize-winning and Commonwealth Writers' Prize-nominated novel "Q & A" by Indian author and diplomat, Vikas Swarup. I believe the book is available in Popular bookstore. I just went there earlier today, and I think I saw the book, but I thought it's just another motivational book. So, I didn't bother to check it out. Gosh, should have bought that instead of Twilight saga's "New Moon" and "Eclipse".

From what I read in Wikipedia, there movie is actually different from the original book. Let me copy the paragraph.

The Bombay Hindu-Muslim riots played no role in the book, as the ethnic or religious heritage of the main character was uncertain. In the book, the character of Jamal is instead named 'Ram Mohammad Thomas'. He was given a Hindu name, Muslim Christian name by the village elders in order to maintain the balance between all the religious communities after his mother abandoned him after birth. Unlike the movie, Ram does not have a biological brother, but Salim is instead his best friend in the novel. He grows up in an orphanage and his only 'brothers' are his fellow orphans. He never knew his mother. Ram is adopted by a Christian priest as a youth, which is where he learns English, and then is nearly molested by a visiting priest. The priest scenes were not included in the script for the movie, and the movie does not explain how Jamal learned fluent English. Latika is not his childhood friend in the book but rather a prostitute named Nita that Ram falls in love with in a brothel when he's 18.
And what more interesting about the movie is; the kids that casted for the movie are actually from the slums of Mumbai in real life. It's amazing that the street kids can speak English so fluently. I doubt Sabahan street kids can do the same. Well, I can't differentiate Sabahan street kids with the illegal immigrants street kids. Let's compare with the KL's street kids then. Nope, I don't think they can speak English as fluent as them.

And the movie won and nominated for various awards. Achieved various reactions around the world. Surely a movie not to miss. I suggest you better find a way to watch the movie.

Link :
Wikipedia
Fox Searchlight

0 comments:

Post a Comment