Why Bali when you're already in Sabah?

|
I'm not writing about how Bali is much better than Sabah. In contrast, I'm writing why you should use your expense for your vacation in Sabah instead of any other islands or beaches in other places.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no different with you. I wanted to go to Bali. In fact, if it wasn't due to the swine flu (or Influenza A, as they want us to call it), I'd be packing for Intan's birthday gateway to Bali right this moment. To be honest, I'm still very upset about it. 5 days in Bali sans the parents. Only me & Intan, and a couple of friends. We'd be able to do anything we want (as long as our budget covers it, of course!) I was looking forward for it, it would be my first trip outside Malaysia without the parents. Ah, the freedom I longed for. Then, the pigs came a long and stomp on my hopes and dreams. How easily a dream can shatter.

Well, I'm not letting one small bump on the road ruin everything. If I can't go to Bali, I'll bring Bali to me. I'd make my own Bali-like experience right here in Sabah. Bali is an island, Sabah is surrounded by islands and the sea. How much different can it be? I probably can do much more here than in Bali. In addition, if I'm running out of budget, I can always run home and ask the parents for extra. (Well, in theory. I'm sure they are not keen on that idea.)

Like any other typical Sabahan, I was skeptical with my own idea. (Yes, my minds was arguing among themselves.) "Oh gosh, Sabah? But there's nothing here! Literally, nothing!" Well, it turns out, we're not doing a good job being a Sabahan. There's a lot we can do in Sabah. But (yes, there's a but) we just can't be expected to do it as the activities in Sabah are mostly outdoorsy and suitable for adrenaline junkie. Or they're more to cultural activities.

Anyway, I did a little research. After all, I need to present this to the parents so they'll approve on both; permission to go without them and the budget required. Obviously, they'll be impressed with my idea. But that still won't confirm that they'll agree to sponsor it. Never mind the budget, I can fork it out of my own account. The main problem is, getting their approval for me to go. The demerits of being the youngest is, the parents will be most protective of you. As if they are not overprotective and overbearing enough.
I always have a thing for beaches. So, it is predictable for me to search for a place surrounded by beach in Sabah. Which is pretty easy thing to do, and too many options to choose. What kind of a fool couldn't find a beach in Sabah? We're surrounded by them! So, since I live in Kota Kinabalu, I shortlisted the options to Tunku Abdul Rahman Park. The marine park is a cluster of islands comprising Pulau Gaya, Pulau Sapi, Pulau Manukan, Pulau Mamutik and Pulau Sulug. All only 10-20 minutes speedboat ride from the city.
Honestly, I do not know how to choose between the islands. They're all the same to me. And I'm sure they offer all the same services and activities. And I've only been to Pulau Manukan before, and that was a long while back. So, I list down everything that I, I meant, we want to do during the trip. Water sports (scuba diving, parasailing, banana boat, ...), overnight stay, bird watching, BBQ, photography (I'm not forgetting you, Krissy.) and whatever the island has to offer, we're up for it (just after we check with our wallet.) And when it comes to this, the Internet is not helpful at all. They only show the boat schedule, and the main attractions of the islands; but there's nothing about the rates, which is the most important in our budget planning.
I think I will choose to go to Pulau Sapi instead of the other four. Simply because I never been there; it has amazing texture of rocks around its beach; there's 5 kilometres of nature trails; and during low tide, we can walk to Pulau Gaya. Oh, no forgetting the most recorgnizable and well-known celebrity on the island, the giant monitor lizards. Usually they are ferocious carnivorous hunters, but it seems the lot on the island has gotten very tame, fat and lazy. Interesting! There's macaque monkeys, too! Imagine Krissy trying to get close and take pictures of them. She jumped across the room because she spotted a cockroach before. Is she going to jump across the island?
Since the Internet is not giving more information that I needed and wanted, I guess I have to do things the old fashion way: go to the main office and ask. Darn. I guess virtual reality is not everything. I'll keep you posted. Wish me luck on getting approval from the parents!

1 comments:

K. Emmanoelle said...

so? where it should be? gayana???? sapi??

Post a Comment